Sunday 11 March 2012

Sacrifice

Psalm 31:24: Be strong and take heart, all you who hope in the Lord.

Ever seriously thought about Jesus dying on the cross? I mean we all know the story and what the Bible says, but have you ever actually sat and thought long and hard about what He actually went through?

OK, He was beaten. Well I've been beaten up before, got a few bruises, I've also dished a few out (when a boy started on my brother I threw a punch at his face and ribs, and received a few back before running for it!) - I'm not proud of hitting him, but it saved my brother a beating from a much larger boy! I obviously thought at the time it was better for me to take the flack rather than my brother since I was older, and supposed to protect my brother, even though my brother probably deserved it (he taunted the boy by saying something to him).

But this wasn't like that, a few punches here and there. Have you seen the film Passion of the Christ? That's more what we're talking about, he was beaten within a mere inch of His life. Watching that film turns my stomach (and I can take blood and guts - I'm a surgeon!) I feel horrified about what happened. Looking at what happened, he probably had internal bleeding in his belly, broken ribs, haemo/pneumothorax, concussion or even a sub/extradural haemorrhage, may be even the beginnings of tetanus from the muck whipped into His wounds. He could have said no, stop, it's not worth it, but he didn't.

‘In your relationships with one another, have the same mindset as Christ Jesus: who, being in very nature God … humbled himself by becoming obedient to death – even death on a cross! Therefore God exalted him to the highest place and gave him the name that is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and every tongue acknowledge that Jesus Christ is Lord’ (Philippians 2:5–11).

Our response to Gods' amazing sacrifice?....I can do nothing but fall on my knees and praise Him who saved my life. So off to church I go!

1 comment:

  1. Love it!
    I haven't stopped to think and apply the medical knowledge I supposedly have to what Jesus must have gone through....the broken ribs, the internal bleeding etc.
    Stopping to appreciate his sacrifice everyday - gives a whole new meaning to life. I live because He died!
    Passion of the Christ... what a film.

    Nice blog!! You have a new follower.
    xox

    ReplyDelete