Tuesday 27 March 2012

Generosity

'Don't obey God to get things. Obey God to get God. "I am your shield and very great reward". The best reward is Him!' Mike Pilavachi.

We are taught to always be generous. It should not just be an occasional act, but a way of life. God delights in people who love like this, He doesn't promise a trouble free life, but He does promise to not let them fall:

Psalm 37:23-26
The LORD makes firm the steps
of the one who delights in him;
though he may stumble, he will not fall,
for the LORD upholds him with his hand.


I was young and now I am old,
yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken
or their children begging bread.
They are always generous and lend freely;
their children will be a blessing.

We should not think of being generous to get things in return.

Luke 6:27-36
‘Love your enemies ... If someone grabs your shirt, giftwrap your best coat and make a present of it ... No more tit–for–tat stuff. Live generously’ ... 'I tell you, love your enemies. Help and give without expecting a return. You'll never—I promise—regret it. Live out this God-created identity the way our Father lives toward us, generously and graciously, even when we're at our worst. Our Father is kind; you be kind.'

We are called to be generous just as God is generous to us, how many times do we think about giving something/lending something to somebody only after working out whether it works for us in terms of when we need what we are planning to lend or give. For example lending a bike to someone, don't you automatically work out in your head, 'well I need it on this day ... so, you can have it after that'? Or, 'I have $5 in my purse, and I need to buy milk, so I'll give you $3 so I have enough to buy milk'? God calls us to be freely generous. Lend the bike, and you walk instead, give the $5 and go and get $2 more from the bank account a little further up the road, how difficult is it really??!

Be generous with encouragement. It is verbal sunshine. It costs nothing and it warms hearts.

See every day as a bonus. Each day, without exception, is a gift from God, entrusted to you. Enjoy it and spend it wisely.

No comments:

Post a Comment