Tuesday 20 March 2012

Pretending

Why do we pretend with God? He knows us intimately, every hair on ours heads, and knows us before we're born. The Bible encourages us to be open and honest with God, to ask and petition for everything. Yet we sometimes hide the big stuff that's weighing down our hearts because we think God won't care, can't help, it's too big/too little/not bad enough/too bad.....Etc.

We are so dumb sometimes!! God clearly cares, He proves it again and again, the big and the little.

I'm a big offender, constantly falling into the trap: well, I prayed about it once before, and nothing happened, so there's no point keeping praying....oh that's far too big for God to handle.....or....that's too little, I won't bother God.

And being honest?! Well again the Bible encourages us to constantly question God about stuff we don't understand, and the Psalms are full of David ranting to God when he feels abandoned. Why are we s afraid to shout and stamp our foot at God? He knows when we are angry and annoyed anyway, and He wants us to be honest, we should talk to Him about it, not bottle it up, only then can He help. Simple honesty:

Psalm 35:11-18
11-12 Hostile accusers appear out of nowhere,
they stand up and badger me.
They pay me back misery for mercy,
leaving my soul empty.

13-14 When they were sick, I dressed in black;
instead of eating, I prayed.
My prayers were like lead in my gut,
like I'd lost my best friend, my brother.
I paced, distraught as a motherless child,
hunched and heavyhearted.

15-16 But when I was down
they threw a party!
All the nameless riff raff of the town came
chanting insults about me.
Like barbarians desecrating a shrine,
they destroyed my reputation.

17-18 God, how long are you going
to stand there doing nothing?
Save me from their brutalities;
everything I've got is being thrown to the lions.
I will give you full credit
when everyone gathers for worship;
When the people turn out in force
I will say my Hallelujahs. (MSG)

David is one of my heroes, he rants and raves to God about all the bad stuff with the honesty God craves from us, yet he knows God is God, and has the most awesome faith that everything is in God's hands and will be right in the end:

Praise you in this storm by Casting Crowns
I was sure by now
God You would have reached down
And wiped our tears away
Stepped in and saved the day
But once again, I say "Amen", and it's still raining

As the thunder rolls
I barely hear Your whisper through the rain
"I'm with you"
And as Your mercy falls
I raise my hands and praise the God who gives
And takes away

And I'll praise You in this storm
And I will lift my hands
For You are who You are
No matter where I am
And every tear I've cried
You hold in Your hand
You never left my side
And though my heart is torn
I will praise You in this storm

I remember when
I stumbled in the wind
You heard my cry to you
And you raised me up again
My strength is almost gone
How can I carry on
If I can't find You

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHlQ6sBEO9A

No comments:

Post a Comment