Sunday 4 March 2012

Habits and Trust

It was said by the pastor in church today that it takes 21 days of doing something before it becomes a habit.

Awesome I thought, I'm half way there (that is, it's day 12 of lent - yes I am counting the Sundays!) and still doing good with the whole quiet time thing and daily blogging of my thoughts that come from quiet time/church. Then I remembered a line from a poem I heard ages ago about habits:

Don't let your parents down;
They brought you up.
Be humble enough to obey;
you may be giving orders someday.
Choose your friends with care;
you become what they are.
Choose only a date;
who would make a good mate.
Guard your thoughts;
what you think, you are.
Be master of your habits;
or they will master you.

Don't let the crowd pressure you;
stand for something or you'll fall for anything.

Master your habits, get into good habits, not bad ones, or they will overcome you.

Proverbs 3:1-6
My child, remember my teachings and instructions and obey them completely. They will help you live a long and prosperous life. Let love and loyalty always show like a necklace, and write them in your mind. God and people will like you and consider you a success. With all your heart you must trust the Lord, and not your own judgement. Always let Him lead you and He will clear the road for you to follow.

Trust was also talked about in church today - trusting God completely for His ways are good. Definitely a word from God today since I read about trusting God in another blog yesterday evening. They were talking about trusting the tree they climbed, knowing it wouldn't fall down because others had climbed it before and so had they. Their prayer was simple: Help me trust you Lord, like I trust the tree.

I know how this feels, I've climbed a ton of trees as a kid, and always trusted the trees completely. And only the other day I was thinking about trusting God in His promises and His words. My continuing prayer: Help me Lord trust you like this.

We sang this song today, I've always loved this verse since I first heard it:
I'm caught in the rhythms of grace
They overcome all of my ways
Realigning each step everyday
To live for Your glory

A new revelation about the meaning hit me today thinking about habits and trust. I'm fully caught up in God's Grace, so much it thoroughly saturates me. Trusting in God and continuing my 'habit' of quiet times, studying God's word, and listening to Him speak through His word helps realign my steps for the day to walk with Him and not away from Him. For all this is for His glory, my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment