Thursday 22 March 2012

Be prepared, know your weapon!

It's OK to be tempted....just don't actually go through with it.

Even Jesus was tempted....for 40 days straight! It was the devil doing the tempting but God 'allowed it', as it was the Spirit that led Him into the wilderness.

Luke 4:1-13
Jesus, full of the Holy Spirit, left the Jordan and was led by the Spirit into the wilderness, where for forty days he was tempted by the devil. He ate nothing during those days, and at the end of them he was hungry. The devil said to him, “If you are the Son of God, tell this stone to become bread.” Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Man shall not live on bread alone.’” The devil led him up to a high place and showed him in an instant all the kingdoms of the world. And he said to him, “I will give you all their authority and splendour; it has been given to me, and I can give it to anyone I want to. If you worship me, it will all be yours.” Jesus answered, “It is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God and serve him only.’” The devil led him to Jerusalem and had him stand on the highest point of the temple. “If you are the Son of God,” he said, “throw yourself down from here. For it is written: “‘He will command his angels concerning you to guard you carefully; they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.’” Jesus answered, “It is said: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.’” When the devil had finished all this tempting, he left him until an opportune time.

The devil raises doubts by say IF....or did God really say.....? 'He raises doubts which are at the very core of our own identity as God's children in order to soften us up for other temptations.' (NG).

It is by no accident Jesus answers the devil using scripture. We should do likewise. Everything is in there, that is why it is important to read, learn, and memorise it, it is our tool of defence against the devil, if we don't know what our tool/weapon is or how to use it, we don't have a chance. I look at it a bit like goalkeeping: If I don't know I can use my hands to save the ball, I just stand there and use my feet, which ends up in many goals being scored! However if I know I can use my hands and do so, training hard to practice using my hands and diving for he ball, I can save any more goals from being scored.

Unfortunately Bill Shankly was wrong in saying football is more important than life and death, as Paul says in Ephesians, 'This is for keeps, a life-or-death fight to the finish....'

Ephesians 6:10-18
God is strong, and he wants you strong. So take everything the Master has set out for you, well-made weapons of the best materials. And put them to use so you will be able to stand up to everything the Devil throws your way. This is no afternoon athletic contest that we'll walk away from and forget about in a couple of hours. This is for keeps, a life-or-death fight to the finish against the Devil and all his angels.
Be prepared. You're up against far more than you can handle on your own. Take all the help you can get, every weapon God has issued, so that when it's all over but the shouting you'll still be on your feet. Truth, righteousness, peace, faith, and salvation are more than words. Learn how to apply them. You'll need them throughout your life. God's Word is an indispensable weapon.
In the same way, prayer is essential in this ongoing warfare. Pray hard and long. Pray for your brothers and sisters. Keep your eyes open. Keep each other's spirits up so that no one falls behind or drops out.

I could quote many awesome things God says about us to prove the Word is the weapon against the devil and that what the devil tries to say about you is wrong, but I'll stick to a few of my favourites that have certainly helped me in the past (and still do):

I am a jealous God, you will have none others before me....

Don't let anyone look down on you just because you're young, instead be an example to the believers, in truth, hope, and love.....

You are my child, whom I love, with you I am well pleased....

God has an amazing plan and purpose for you, a plan to prosper, and not harm....

The Lord your God is with you, the Mighty Warrior who saves, He takes great delight in you and rejoices over you with singing....

He knew you before you were born, He knows you intimately, and even knows the numbers of hairs on your head....

No comments:

Post a Comment