Sunday 26 February 2012

Matins

This morning of church I was reminded of the word Matins. This is a word derived from Latin, which I have never learned except on the odd occasion of coming across various bits of anatomy in medical school! The following in taken from that great source of wisdom – Wikipedia! Matins, or from the adjective matutinus, meaning ‘of or belonging to the morning.’

I first came across the word at the Parachute Festival (Hamilton NZ), when the Parachute Band released their new album (which is completely awesome by the way). There new album is 2 CD’s, one called Matins, and the other Vespers. The idea being, one for morning praise, and the other for the quiet reflection in the evenings. Matins and Vespers is an age old tradition of many Eastern Orthodox churches, and the Roman Catholic Church.

I just love the fact that mornings are for praise of God. It starts the morning well don’t you think? Praising His almighty name, and committing whatever befalls us that day to Him. I was reminded of it at Church this morning because the first song we sang was most definitely a praise song:
I’m casting my cares aside
I’m leaving my past behind
I’m setting my heart and mind on you, Jesus
I’m reaching my hand to yours
Believing there’s so much more
Knowing that all you have in store for me is good
Today is the day you have made
I will rejoice and be glad in it
And I won’t worry about tomorrow
I’m trusting in what you say
Today is the day
I’m putting my fears aside
I’m leaving my doubts behind
I’m giving my hopes and dreams to you, Jesus

An awesome way to start the day, rejoicing that today is here, and claiming it all for Jesus.

Tomorrow I start back on the ward on Orthopaedics, which means no more random houred shifts in the chaos that is ED, and I have to be at work by about 7.30am every morning Mon-Fri. This means getting up early to do my quiet time, and this tends to be my downfall, waking up thinking, just 5 more minutes! Which inevitably eats into quiet time - doh! Therefore my prayer today is: give me the strength to get up in the morning (in time) to praise God with Matins, and commit the day before me to the Lord with my quiet times.

Amen!

No comments:

Post a Comment