Thursday 23 February 2012

Hearing God

I grew up in a Christian environment. Went to church most Sunday's and learnt that Jesus loved me and if I believed He was rue I'd go to heaven. but it wasn't until I was 15 that I really understood the message a 'properly' became a Christian.

Even then after that amazing week at a youth camp in Wales, I was never too sure what 'hearing God' meant. Did that mean I would actually hear a booming voice from heaven when He wanted to say stuff? I just didn't get it.

I have since learnt, which took several years to understand (I'm slow I know!), that God is the still small voice in the craziness of life. You have to sit and listen...quietly...which I'm REALLY bad at! I always need to be doing stuff, on the go, except when I'm tired, then I just fall straight to sleep! God will speak directly to your heart. Mainly through the words you read in the Bible, which is why quiet time is paramount!

God also talks through coincidences, or if you want to be a little but cheesy...God-incidences =) Mainly for me this is what other people say either at church up front, or in conversation, and suddenly it's WOAH! That spoke right into my situation, how did you know?! Mostly they don't know, but God let you hear that person for a reason.

I still struggle sometimes believing whether it's God I'm hearing or not. But that's the Devil poking his nose in, trying to discourage and wangle his way into what isn't ever his, nor ever will be. The devil tries to create distrust, worry, guilt, and anxiety. I have to remind myself that what God says will always be good, and not for evil. Psalm 25:

We can be sure that God will only ask us to do ‘what is right’ (v.9a). The test of whether the guidance comes from God is whether what we are being asked to do is ‘loving and faithful’ (v.10a). God will never ask us to do something that is unloving or unfaithful. ‘All the ways of the Lord are loving and faithful’ (v.10a).

God will always send us in the right direction, we just have to LISTEN.

This entry is based on my thoughts about my quiet time today. I'm reading through Nicky Gumbel's Bible In A Year website. It's only the second day on Lent, but I feel God's presence closer than I've felt for a while. Why? Because I'm doing a quiet time when I wake up =)

'It is often when we fail to spend time alone with Jesus that we more easily succumb to temptation.'

Today I pray I will seek God's still small voice earnestly and hungrily every day, that I will know Him more, and love Him with all my heart, through my actions as well as in my head. I want to experience this, not just know the knowledge.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this, Harry! So true and so important. And praise God He's not just making you ready for the future, but making you more like Him right now!
    One day we'll both be in Africa :o).

    ReplyDelete