Sunday 24 June 2012

Rediscovering the Beetroot Stain!

So I discovered today the reason I have felt so weary and tired of everything, struggling to carry on .... I have ignored God.  Not purposely, but as a side effect of a busy life!  How easy it is to do!

I haven't had 'time' to read His word daily, nor go to Church, or Bible Study .... my reasoning .... well work at the hospital is busy, I want to go biking, I want to go away for the weekend to the Sounds for my Birthday, I want to watch the Rugby, etc, etc, etc.  How poor and insignificant these reasons are when compared to the awesomeness of God.  And what a hypocrite I am!  On one hand, I sympathise with Jesus when He gets frustrated with the Disciples and Pharisees about how dumb they're being when they don't understand his parables, yet, I too am that dumb when I choose other stuff over spending time with God.

The result .... well, I am tired, worn out, frustrated at life and the things it throws at me.  That's not to say during the times when I am 'closer' to God everything goes swimmingly, but instead, things are easier because God takes the load.  Isn't it so much easier to carry the shopping when you have a friend to help you?!

I learnt today in church that God's love is like a beetroot stain!  You can't get away from it; you are stuck with it!

'Be strong.  Take courage.  DO NOT be intimidated.  Don't give them a second thought because God, YOUR GOD, is striding ahead of you.  He is RIGHT THERE with you.  He WON'T let you down; He WON'T EVER leave you.'  Deut 31:6

'Faith is not content with fleeting pleasures.  It is ravenous for joy.'  Heb 11:24

Today I rediscovered God's pure joy.  Singing the words to songs in Church and listening to the kids talk (it was a family service), and seeing the beauty of God's creation on my bike ride this afternoon, I realised where I had gone wrong this past month, I had ignored God.  My faith was not content with the fleeting pleasures of work, mountain biking, fun in the Sounds, but was ravenous for the joy of having God in my life.  I suddenly felt an overwhelming sense of peace in my soul, in realising the joy of the Lord.  My faith was ravenous for that joy I had ignored, and suddenly in that split second I was satisfied; nothing more required.

The following lyrics are from a Newsboys song off one of their albums I happened to be listening  to on my MP3 player on my bike ride this afternoon ..... just as I was thinking about all of this stuff!  (God IS AWESOME, eh?!)

There's a me that I don't really like
A me that says I'm in control 'til the day that I die
And I don't know why
I push I pull I fight I fall
I end up crawling back to that place where I figure it out
That I, that I, that I

I'm second to One
Redeemer, the Way, the Light
I'm second to One
The Saviour, no compromise
I'm laying everything at the foot of the cross
My pride, my life, my all
I'm second to One
And He is second to NONE!

There's a change when I swallow my pride
And I surrender, there's a peace when I open my eyes
'Cos I remember
To live's to die, to fall's to rise
To kneel's to find the Saviour, here I am and I've figured it out
Tonight, tonight, tonight

These lyrics just sum up everything that I thought about over today.  The first verse being the way I have been over the last month or so, and the second verse how I feel now: a 'change when I swallow my pride...a peace when I open my eyes...because I REMEMBER, To live is to die and to fall is to rise...'

The last bit of advice I give myself today:
'Don't over complicate God's will.  Just stay connected to Jesus.  Love Him.  Look into His eyes.  He will lead.  Follow.  Repeat.'  Louie Giglio.


Oh, and:  Remember Psalm 91!
That's right—he rescues you from hidden traps,
shields you from deadly hazards.
His huge outstretched arms protect you —
under them you're perfectly safe;
his arms fend off all harm.
Fear nothing—not wild wolves in the night,
not flying arrows in the day,
Not disease that prowls through the darkness,
not disaster that erupts at high noon....
....Yes, because God's your refuge,
the High God your very own home,
Evil can't get close to you,
harm can't get through the door.
He ordered his angels to guard you wherever you go.
If you stumble, they'll catch you;
their job is to keep you from falling....
...."If you'll hold on to me for dear life," says God,
I'll get you out of any trouble.
I'll give you the best of care if you'll only get to know and trust me.
Call me and I'll answer, be at your side in bad times;
I'll rescue you, then throw you a party."

No comments:

Post a Comment